Monday, September 16, 2013

A Little Info Fo' You!

Hey!

So, it's so sad to think about, but I'm soon going to have to go home. I know, I'm crying. But before I go, I think I should tell you guys a bit more about where I am at.

The Mingan Island Cetacean Study (MICS) was founded in 1979 by Richard Sears, who was originally in the St. Lawrence estuary to study salmon, but then noticed all the blue whales in the Gulf. Like the rest of us, he was hooked.

Soon after he figured out how to identify blue whales by their mottling pattern on their backs. Yes my friends, this guy invented a way to ID blue whales. And so MICS was born. It used to be just a little museum in the living room of a little blue house (where the team lives now), and now, in Longue-Pointe de Mingan, it's a large research station, shared with Parks Canada, with research offices upstairs and a beautiful museum downstairs.

As a source of income, MICS does interpretations in the museum, where the public can come in and learn all about the rorquals of the Gulf of the St. Lawrence and the research that we do. We invite them to ask tons of questions and learn as much as we can teach them. Awareness is the first step to change.



After (or before) their interpretation they can peruse the boutique and buy something either very cute, very beautiful or very cheesy that has a whale on it.

Now, I love museums. And talking. And teaching people. So this seems like it would be perfect for me, right? Yes... except for the fact that all the "public" they get in are French. So, not so perfect for me. I just get to stare longingly at the museum and hear it whimper "Interpret me, I'm so lonely...".

Okay, I might be going a little crazy. Well, crazier. I'm already pretty far gone.

I don't want to spoil too much of the station because, well, everyone should spend so many hours getting here to get the interpretation in person! And if you're my friend you probably want it in English! Yay!

Speak Loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment