Sunday, June 10, 2012

Talkin' on the Docks

This is probably one of my most uncreative titles, because I'm going to talk about Dock Talks.

Cetus and their straitwatch program is all about making sure people are respecting the whale watching guidelines the government has for killer whales and other awesome cetaceans. So while we do go out and actually try to stop people from doing bad things (more on that in a future blog post), what we are really about it prevention.

I think conservationists and maybe surgeons are some of the few people that would love to have no reason to exist. If there was no reason for conservationists to work, they'd be so happy, because it would mean that no animals were in any danger. That would be awesome!

So part of what we do is go canvassing around marinas, and stop and chat with local boat owners and see how much they know about the guidelines, and educate them on what the guidelines are if they don't know. We try to get them to take a brochure with all the rules and such on it, but it's more important that we talk to them, give them the information and sometimes we get to hear some really interesting stories. One of my favourites so far includes was a man who was given an honourary guardian status from a native american tribe for cleaning the beaches on their island. That was really neat to hear.

For this part of the job, introverts need not apply. You have to be pretty comfortable to walk up to total strangers who think you are going to sell them something and tell them about safe whale watching. It can't sound like you are accusing them, and you have to know how to smile and nod when they say ridiculous things (it happens). If you are shy and too scared to approach people, then you'll never talk to people. I, myself, is in no way an introvert, but even I was a little awkward when I had to do it on my own.

And it can get really monotonous. The marina that I have gone to for all my dock talks so far (the only one I know how to find) isn't huge, but you have to stick about for a couple hours to get as many people as possible. And the weather hasn't been top notch (can you believe I'm missing the weather back home?), so the water hasn't been drawing a big crowd. So I do a complete walk of the marina, talk to a couple people... and it's only been half an hour. I think the last dock talk I did I walked the entire marina at least 4 times in the 3 hours I was there. It wasn't so bad when I had a partner, but alone it can be a little lonely, and a smidge boring.

But I started this entire blog screaming that nothing about being a Marine Biologist is glamourous. This is just another example.

I think I'll learn where another marina is and go there next time. Switch it up and meet some new people.

Speak Loud!

2 comments:

  1. Suprised I haven't seen you around my 'hood. Boaters tend to be fairly aware about whales and other sealife and know how to interact.
    Of course when I say boaters I not thinking about anyone on a plastic yacht or in a houseboat...
    That being said it is always good to be informed and you cannot be too informed about animal safety! My Family works with Sea-shepherds from time to time and so I am quite aware of the number of people who do need reeducating out there.
    This sounds like rewarding work.
    see you soon Maida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it downtown too much, mostly because I have no idea where I'm going down there, and I know how to get to Oak Bay on my bike. But keep your ears open for other straitwatch people walking around and chatting!

      You guys also keep up the great work, we always need more people working towards a common goal!

      Delete