Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Just Do It

I know I sound like a Nike commercial, but it's relevant, I promise.

I can't say it enough times, because it's something that  I don't think everyone believes when you tell them: science is NOT glamourous!

This is not CSI, or House, or Big Bang Theory, or another TV show that shows you how cool it is to be a scientist. This is hard work, no pay and nothing to show for it beyond your CV.

And I do it 'cuz I love it.

What brings this warning on? My current task at work is dull with no challenge. I am doing inventory of seal teeth, animal tissue and teeth slides. I go through every sample, note which teeth are missing, and put it all in a spreadsheet.

I've done just over 850 teeth samples (which feels like 1900, because the left and right are separate), and believe me, there are moments when I ask myself "I need a degree for this?"

Welcome to internships. Welcome to science.

90% of successful students, professors and researchers you will meet have had a period like this. Compared to this, photo-ID was fun! But it looks good on a CV, future supervisors and employers will see this and go "she can do the crap work, and do it right." Plus, the more you say yes to your current boss, the better the reference is for the next job.

This goes for unpaid internships. We would all love to get paid for what we love to do, but like the struggling artist in Soho, we need to suffer for our work.

Anyone who isn't a biologist (aka most of my friends) cannot comprehend the idea of an unpaid intership. When I tell them about past/ future plans, the second question they ask (first being "where is it?") is "is it paid?"

My darling friends. If I was getting paid to be a marine biologist, I can assure you: It would be the first words out of my mouth!

An interesting story. I was chilling with some people, talking about my plans for unpaid internships, and a friend goes "I love my work, it's interesting and I can't imagine doing anything else. But if they didn't pay me... I don't think I would do it."

Totally fair. Most people would choose a career that actually pays them. I get that.

But with that attitude, biology with chew you up and spit you out and tell you to be something easy. Like a doctor.*

In my field, particularly marine mammal behaviour, you need to be ready to give up time, energy, money, sleep, food, and most importantly, sanity, to get what you want. Ifs and Maybes need not apply.

So my pupils, I again offer you the opportunity to check yourself. Are you willing to do anything, give anything, to be a marine biologist? If not, I suggest getting into birds. Everyone wants to give money to ornithologists. Just be ready to wake up really early.

Complaining about my job and something to think about... yupp, successful blog.

Speak Loud!

*before I get some scalpels launched at my head, I AM KIDDING! Becoming/being a doctor is not easy, I promise I understand it's a challenge. Please don't poison me and make it look like an accident.

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not post a comment.

    I have blogs also obviously, and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I mostly post about the California experience through the perspective of personal writings, and my art.

    Maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon… :)

    Jesse Noe Mendez

    ReplyDelete