Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I'm Melting....

Or at least, my brain is!

Day Two - Tuesday


Feeling: Overwhelmed.

Wanted: Single young Marine Mammologist seeking interested Physicist for companionship and brain picking.

The way today (and the rest of the week) is set up is to choose one of 4 talks at one time, 15 minutes long, all day long.

Go.

And is you took my advice from yesterday, you are like me and attending basically every single one that you think could be interesting. Which I did.

How much of it did I understand? Little to none. How much do I remember? Less than that.

How much did I learn? Tons.

Osmosis may not work for studying, but somehow it manages to work at conferences. You pick up on a lot more that you ever thought you could.

I spent the entire day in presentations about acoustics, acoustic monitoring, tagging and tracking. So much physics. So much biology.

But science is no longer uni-disciplinary ( I think I made up that word...). My friends are also chemists, physicists, geologists, geographists (another made up word). But the questions we are killing ourselves (almost literally) for are all biological in origin, so we call ourselves biologists.

I think it's the atmosphere, or maybe just being surrounded by so many people who are so much smarter and more ahead with their lives than mine, but while I feel completely depressed about trying to find a Master's position, I am also inspired. It's finding the happy medium and actually putting things in motion that is the tough part. But until I do, I'm just going to whine about it. Because that's what I do.

Tomorrow will be more of the same, except lots more about my favourite animal ever. Bonus points for whoever can guess it.

I`m excited to see what the feeling of the day is tomorrow, and I hope you are too!

Speak Loud!

3 comments:

  1. LOL yeah, there was lots of Orca-ness this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-read that. No, Orca is not my favourite animal. But you do get some points as it definitely makes like... top 3

    ReplyDelete