Saturday, October 1, 2011

That's Fin-tastic!

So marine biology might seem to be all glitz and glam, but it's not all about being sloshed around on the ocean and swimming with dolphins. In fact, it's nothing like that at all. True marine biology is work. Hard work. Now ecology usually does require some field work, so there are some fun aspects to the job, where yes, you do go out on a boat and get to look at cool animals. But like most sciences, there are fun parts, then there are dull parts.

But to quote one of my favourite books (I am so happy I get to do this!): "He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness." (Bonus points to whoever can name that book. The answer will be revealed at the end of the post).

In order to appreciate the field work, I need to put in lab time. So this is an explanation of what "lab work" means to a dolphin intern.


We take pictures of dolphins. Lots and lots of pictures. Of lots of lots of dolphins. And we care about which is which. So we need to figure out who all these dolphins are.


Now we can't just ask them their name and genealogy, that's just silly. So we need to match their dorsal fins to pictures of known individual's dorsal fins.


So they give me a picture of a fin of a dolphin they don't recognize, and based on scarring, notches (bits of fin that are missing) and general shape, I have to see if I can find the fin in the database of all known 
dolphins.


Easy? No, no my friends. The picture I'm given is from 2010, and the database pictures start from back in 70s. And these are living, wild dolphins. So maybe now they have 5 cuts on their dorsal fin. But the picture of the exact same dolphin might only have three.

How do I know I'm looking at the same dolphin? Heck if I know!!

No, there are some tricks. You have to look at where on the fin the cuts and notches are, the space between them etc. And dolphins don't lose notches either. Their skin doesn't  grow over it. So if they have it, they have it.

But to break up the monotony (and it does get monotonous!), we have the chance to help with data entry and data checking. Which is also monotonous, but at least it's social and it's a different kind of monotony.

It's been exciting though, I've found a few fins in the database, which is really uplifting! Then again, I haven't found a lot of fins, which is a little depressing. It's an educated guessing game. But that's science for you!

Speak Loud!

PS. The quote is from the book The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Read it. Seriously. Read it. Don't watch the movie. Read the book.

3 comments:

  1. "Found you Miss New Booty" - SMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that you didn't put 'gills and glam' in your first sentence instead of 'glitz and glam' based on your title. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you TRIED asking their names?

    ReplyDelete