Friday, July 8, 2011

More About Me!

I just realized that I have been spouting out all this "wisdom" about becoming a marine biologist, without answering the question "What makes you qualified to tell me anything?"

The answer: I'm not. But I have been around the block at least once so far. And that makes me think I know a little something about nothing.

But just in case, here's a little more about me.

I am a recent graduate of the University of Manitoba. I have a Bachelors of Science in Biological Sciences with a focus in Evolution and Biodiversity. My degree is an honours degree and I wrote my thesis on sex-biased parasitism in Richardson's ground squirrels. It's not nearly as fancy as it may sound.

I was never told what it would take to be a marine biologist until my 2nd/3rd year of University. Oh, and it only took me 3 years to do my 4 year degree because my high school let me take my 1st year courses with them. So I was pretty much oblivious until it was almost too late.

Instead of working in a lab or offering my services to field work, I worked as a swimming instructor, camp counsellor and Museum Youth Programs worker. Instead of burying myself in the books in order to get all the A+'s, I had fun with friends and learned to swing dance.

So I am a little bit ahead and a little bit behind. But this has given me the chance to put off Masters for a little bit and an excellent opportunity to ask for a lot of help and advice from grad students and profs alike.

As for my future, it's a little blurry and a little clear. the exact details are blurry, I'm not sure when I'm getting my Masters or if I'll need a PhD (but "Dr." in front of my name is pretty tempting) but I do know what I want to research for the rest of my life (or as long as I possibly can).

And that is acoustics in blue whales. Particularly infrasonic communication in blue whales. infrasound is low frequency sound (less that 20 Hz) and for the most part only large animals can produce it vocally. Like blue whales. We know they make it but we don't know why or when and THAT"S what I want to find out.

So now my entire life is focused around getting to that goal. This summer I am working on marine mammal databases for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans as well as a field assistant for a grad student working on infrasound in peacocks (who produce it with their train rather than vocally). One step closer....

Speak Loud!

6 comments:

  1. Gaby, you are such a great writer. If this marine biology thing doesn't work out you can always be a journalist...a science writer. But as I read this I can very clearly hear you being interviewed on quirks and quarks, or The Nature Of Things. You've somehow made me interested in why blue whales talk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie beat me to it again!!! I have to wake up earlier to read your blog. The Marine biology thing is going to work out and how! You are on the right track to reach your goals and your lifelong dream. I have been hearing about this since you were born almost. This summer will be the first step in many to get there. And in the mean time, we all get to have a free education. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are the best!! Leslie, I did think for a little while about becoming a writer, but I don't think I could handle the rules of writing very well.

    And Naomi, this summer is an awesome stepping stone! I am learning a lot and working for a lot of great people, so I am really excited for the next few months and extra excited for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one day, people will be talking about all of your amazing discoveries, and i'll say "gaby's my grand daughter, and you don't know the half of it." then i'll brag about your accomplishments the way i used to brag about your curls and your shayna punim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may have wasted study time learning to swing dance and hanging out with your friends, but it would be a tremendous lie if you said you didn't love it to death. I, for one, am certainly glad you did, or I would never have met you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, it would be a COMPLETE lie to say that I regret the "waste" that is swing and my fantastic can't-live-without friends (you very much included). I wouldn't exchange you guys for anything!!

    ReplyDelete