Thursday, July 7, 2011

Do's and Don't's

Here are the do's and don't's (I don't know if that's a real word....) of becoming a marine biologist

Do take all the best math and science classes you can in high school
Don't neglect your English class! Having good, clear and concise writing skills will come in handy (hence why I am struggling)

Do care about your grades starting as early as you can. It's about getting into the best university (with as many scholarships as you can).
Don't neglect the extra curriculars. Universities are looking for those!

Do work hard and save lots! Get used to having to earn money on top of school, because grad school doesn't pay much. Having a bit of a safety net is always good.
Don't put off travelling! I have, and I regret it. That being said, my personal goal is to have a career that travels a lot, so I felt like I could hold out for a while. Still on the fence about it.

Do find work in your field!! Something science related, in a lab or as a field assistant or even a data cruncher. I spent my high school/undergrad life doing jobs COMPLETELY unrelated to biology, and I am paying for it now.
Don't be unemployed if you can't find a lab job! Every job has skills that are important to biology, it's all about how you spin it!

Do take all the courses you can to give yourself all the skills and certifications you can! First Aid, Lifesaving, boating licence, scuba diving, etc.
Don't forget to take specific courses. Universities will offer courses like "marine ecology" or "coastal reef biodiversity", and those are what are going to make you stand out. But they cost. A lot. Just go to a university that offers a marine biology undergrad degree.

Do make 'friends' with your biology profs in University. If they know your name and know you are interested in their field, they will make GREAT connections and can be extremely helpful in progressing your career.
Don't believe that "C's get degrees"!!! Get the BEST grades you can, and if you need help ASK FOR IT!! Peers, profs, TAs, older friends, anyone who knows what they are doing can help YOU know what you are doing!

Do get an honours degree. While you are at it, do a co-op too. A general degree is 3 years, a honours is 4 but a honours co-op is six years but it has to be the best idea in the entire world!! I wish I had thought of it.
Don't be in any rush!! If research is what you want to do with your life, then any time you spend doing some is worth it, even without letters after your name (but those are pretty sweet). So do the volunteering, take the co-op, take almost any job offered to you and don't worry about how long it takes between degrees!

That's all I can think of for now. Learn young Jedis. Learn from all my mistakes and you will make it better than I will... wait a moment... damn.

2 comments: